As an owner of three vehicles that I historically have brought to Mathis over the years, my most recent experience was the most disappointing. I brought my daughter’s car in Saturday around 1:15 p.m. because her check engine and tire pressure lights were on, and asked to have the tires rotated. When I arrived, I was greeted by William and was told the car would be checked out for a service charge of $94.00 which would be removed if I elected to utilize your services. I left the car and about forty-five minutes later was contacted by William who told me the O2 sensor needed to be replaced (duh), and quoted a cost around $630.00 to repair. I told him to proceed with the repairs, and it was at this time he informed me that I could have the tires rotated for $20.00, or for $29.00 I could have the oil changed and the tires rotated for free. I informed William to have the mechanic include the oil change.

Since I knew the shop closed at 5:00 p.m. on Saturdays and hadn’t heard from anyone, I called at 4:45 p.m. and spoke to William. At that time he told me the mechanic was working on my car, and when I mentioned my concern regarding closing time he informed me they would stay until the job was completed and I would be able to pick-up my car. Within a half hour, William called me to tell me the 02 sensor was “seized”, and the mechanic did not have the proper tools to remove it and wouldn’t be able to obtain the correct tool until Monday 7/14/14. Although I wasn’t pleased with the thought of not having my car and having to juggle transportation needs for work Monday I told him to proceed.

On Monday, I called your shop around 12:45 p.m. because I hadn’t heard anything. I was then told the required tool was on-site however the mechanic was still not able to remove the O2 sensor and that additional work/parts would be around $1400.00, which included replacing some part of the motor. After discussing options with William I decided to move forward with the initial recommended tune-up and was quoted a price around $360.00. I did finally receive a call around 4:00 p.m. to inform me my car was ready.

When I arrived around 5:00 p.m. to pick-up my car I was told the total cost was $405.49. When I looked over the invoice I noticed the oil change I requested was not completed. Since it was late and I had an appointment I left the shop in my car. During this period is when I noticed now when the car is at a standstill, it shakes like it wants to stall (something it wasn’t doing before). Since this is my teenage daughter’s car I’m now concerned it may stop on her.

As mentioned previously I have been utilizing Mathis for years with my three vehicles and this is the first irritating issue I’ve experienced from having to call to obtain the status of my vehicle to the shaking that is now occurring. I’m also concerned it appears the last few times I’ve visited the staff continues to change. At least at the front desk.(?)

The following weekend I had another unrelated certified mechanic look at my daughter’s car to see why it was running so sluggish. His diagnosis of the issue is:

1. Since Mathis couldn’t replace the 02 sensor they cut the wires to the sensor (possibly when they were attempting to take it out), and left it as is. Needless to say, the 02 sensor “really” isn’t working now.

2. The reason my car is hesitating at stop signs etc., (which is wasn’t before), most likely is because the mechanic cracked the manifold either while changing the spark plugs are trying to get to the 02 sensor.

3. Whoever worked on my vehicle was “not” the best mechanic.

Review about: Mathis Tire Repair.

Had an Experience with Mathis Tire?

Comments

Southaven, Mississippi, United States #1120961

Went to the Mathis Goodman Rd.location back in my teenage years once.

Asked for an alignment. They started, then tried to convince me I needed to spend 1,600 dollars (for an allegedly bent tie rod) and open a brand new credit card with them to actually align it.

Went to Firestone and had it done for 75 bucks.

Yeah, they're a bunch of effing crooks.Very sorry to hear you had to find out the hard way.